Batman- Believe (snippet)
Batman- Mixtape Intro
Jay-Z may be one of the most powerful entertainers on earth, but the 40-year-old rap mogul recently lost a court dispute with a restaurant in New Castle, England.
The rap mogul, who raked an estimated $122 million dollars combined with the earnings of wife Beyonce last year, sued celebrity chef Terry Miller, over the use of the word “Rockafella,” the namesake of Miller’s eatery.
The dispute entered the courts in 2006, when Jay-Z claimed that the name would confuse fans into thinking Miller’s business was associated with his Roc-A-Fella Records empire.
Miller, 51, launched his restaurant with the proceeds he earned from winning $250,000 on a cooking reality show titled Hell‘s Kitchen.
A court ruled in favor of Miller and gave him granted him the exclusive trademark and the right to use the name in the UK.
This is not the first time a popular celebrity has lost the rights to a name in the United Kingdom.
In 2007, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs was banned from using the moniker “Diddy” in the UK, after losing a court battle to Richard “Diddy” Dearborn, who claimed the rap mogul was interfering with his trademark rights in the UK.
Read more here
Nas’ Ex-wife Kelis is seeking to have the rapper held in contempt of court, because he hasn't paid child support since December 1.
TMZ.com reports that Kelis’ lawyer Laura Wasser has filed court papers claiming the rapper has failed to pay $56,911.50 in child and spousal support.
In July of 2009, Nas was ordered to pay his 29-year-old former wife over $55,000 to cover the living expenses for Kelis and their newborn son, Knight Jones in addition to money for her prenatal expenses and medical bills.
Additionally, Nas was also ordered to pay $35,000 to Wasser, who has represented artists like Stevie Wonder, Britney Spears, Angelina Jolie and others.
Nas and Kelis announced their pending divorce in April of 2009. She seeks the money based on the rapper’s reported $4 million dollar salary.
In October, it was revealed that the IRS filed a $2.5 million lien against Nas for income he earned in 2006 and 2007.
Read more here
Mystikal was released from prison on Thursday (Jan. 14) after serving a six-year sentence on sexual assault and battery charges.
The artist, born Michael Lawrence Tyler, topped the charts in 2000 and 2001 with his hits “Shake Ya Ass” and “Danger (Been So Long).”
“I’m back! I’m still tryin’ to feel this reality. It still almost feels like a dream,” he told his hometown radio station Q93 FM. “Six years off the scene, for most rappers it’d be over with. Man, it’s gon’ be the beginning for me and I’m finna get my reparations.”
He discussed receiving a visit from Shaquille O’Neal, not being able to witness Hurricane Katrina and President Obama’s election, and the first thing he plans to do when he gets home. We’ll probably be hearing more from him soon.
Read more here
Jay-Z's new video for "On to the Next One" — with images of ram skulls, black crows and a Joker-like clown — has some bloggers talking that Jay is dabbling in demonic imagery and Freemason symbolism. Hov thinks that's ridiculous.
"I got a lot of money," Hov told Power 105.1 radio host Ed Lover on Wednesday (January 13). "When people get a lot of money, they start getting those rumors like Tom Cruise, Willie Smith. That's ridiculous."
Hov is also the subject of a new independent street DVD that alleges he is "Hip-Hop's Master Mason" and the Blueprint pays homage to a secret society.
"That's crazy to me," Jay scoffed. "I gotta remind people I'm from Marcy Projects. I can't get into a golf club in Palm Springs."
Swizz Beatz also denied rumors that the "On to the Next One" clip promotes devil worship.
"I don't think about that. I know that's a billion percent not true. The video displays another level of art and creativity from two great minds: the director and Jay — and myself, bringing the collaboration together. It's no satanic ways around me and that's for sure," he explained. "I'm with Jay — I never see none of that stuff around him unless he's hiding something, which I doubt. C'mon, man. That's silly stuff. T hat stuff you don't even comment on; we on to the next one."
"I'm aware of the stir the video has caused and what people are saying," the clip's director, Sam Brown, told Vibe.com. "I think when you're dealing in abstract imagery people are going to want to draw lines between things and make sense of it. However, I've always felt that the viewing public was, in general, extremely visually literate. They don't always want or need things to be spelled out for them. One of the great things about music videos are they can be enjoyed purely visually — it doesn't need to mean anything or make any sense. Conspiracy theory is another thing entirely, and seems to me to be about projecting pre-existing beliefs and desperately looking for things that confirm them. There is imagery in this video that is drawn from all over the place. None of it is owned by any one culture or belief system. You can connect anything if you try hard enough, and make it mean anything you want it to."
"It didn't look like we was worshipping the devil," Swizz continued, speaking on behalf of himself, Jay and Young Jeezy, who are all featured in the video. "It was easy. The song, the chemistry between me, Jay [and] Jeezy is a natural flow. When you put that in front of the camera, it's natural. Jay was on set, I think, for only two hours. I was on set for like, an hour. Same thing. Jeezy was there. It was real quick. The director took it and went on to the next one. ... I never expected the video to come out like that ... it's like a portrait. It's like a canvas he took, which was the green screen, and he took that canvas and really painted it Murakami, Basquiat style. There go the results."
Read more here
Lloyd Banks and three associates, who were jailed after allegedly assaulting and robbing a concert promoter in Canada, were released on bail Tuesday (January 12), but Banks and associate Nicklas Sloane were remanded by Canadian immigration.
According to Olaf Heinzel, a spokesperson for the Kitchener (Ontario) Police, the two were held for unspecified immigration issues; a Canadian immigration spokesperson told MTV News that details about Banks' (real name: Christopher Lloyd) and Sloan's detention were not available at press time. A review is scheduled for later this week, after which the two could be released and allowed to return to the U.S.
Shawn McGee and Tyrell Cooper, who were also jailed in connection with the incident, are expected to return to the United States later Tuesday.
All four men were arrested just after 5 a.m. on Saturday at a hotel in Kitchener. According to authorities, Banks and his associates assaulted and robbed a local show promoter/ booking agent in his hotel room early Saturday in a d ispute over pay for a concert appearance.
The four were charged with criminal confinement, robbery and aggravated assault. Although police have not named the alleged victim, Banks' lawyer, Patrick Ducharme, told MTV News that he is veteran booking agent Chris Hines.
"The case probably will proceed on the basis that it will be put over for three to four weeks for me to receive what is called the 'prosecutors disclosure.' That's all the information that supposedly supports the charges," Ducharme, who expects to enter a not-guilty plea on Banks' behalf in approximately month, told MTV News late Monday. "Then three to four weeks after I've had the chance to review that disclosure, I would be prepared to set the date for the trial or preliminary hearing, depending on some procedural matters. The case will proceed through the courts. If it stays in the lower courts, it takes about a year and a few months to resolve. If it goes to the higher courts, it could be as along as a year and a half to bring the matter to court."
At press time, Ducharme and the case's prosecutor had not responded to MTV News' requests for further comment.
Read more here
Former Clipse manager Anthony ‘Geezy” Gonzalez has been sentenced to 32 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to leading a $20 million dollar drug conspiracy.
Gonzalez was accused of completing numerous kingpin transactions, such as purchasing 625 pounds of marijuana for $540,000, and 10 kilos of cocaine for $200,000 in 2007.
Because of his previously light criminal record, community support, and cooperation with the federal government, Gonzalez received the minimum sentence allowed under federal guidelines.
The prosecutor’s 82-page indictment stated that Gonzalez ran a drug empire that moved a half-ton of cocaine and over a ton of marijuana through Hampton Roads, Virginia since 2003. The former nightclub owner is alleged to have received his drugs from Panama, Florida, California, and Arizona.
The federal documents detail that Gonzalez laundered money through several front business, one named as the Clipse booking agency Soul Providers Management, and his organization styled “themselves out as music producers, rappers, entrepreneurs, club owners, clothing designers and other legitimate occupations in order to conceal the true source of their income.”
When the indictment was handed down last April, Clipse member Malice released a video showing his modest family life, and denied the group had a legitimate drug dealer lifestyle as portrayed in their music.
Read more here
After many delays, Joell Ortiz is finally releasing Free Agent this year via E1.
The album will feature apperances from Akon, Brother Ali, Bun B, Styles P, Sheek Louch, Raekwon, Novel, Smokey Robinson, M.O.P., Slaughterhouse, Maino, Jean Grae, Talib Kweli and Bobby Ray.
Production will be supplied by DJ Khalil, Lil Fame, DJ Premier, Red Spyda, Sean C & LV, Statik Selektah, Novel, MoSS, Nottz, Frequency and Frank Dukes.
Free Agent will hit stores on March 23rd.
Read more here
Lloyd Banks' lawyer said the rapper should be headed home to America Today (January 12th).
Since Saturday morning, Banks has been held in a Kitchener, Ontario, jail on assault and robbery charges after an incident involving a local promoter Friday night. Authorities say Banks and three others assaulted the promoter after the G-Unit member performed at Club NV in nearby Brantford late Friday night. There will be a bail hearing Tuesday; bail is $50,000 for Banks and $25,000 for the other men involved.
"There has been an agreement between the prosecution and defense for his release and the release for each of the individuals," Patrick Ducharme, Banks' legal counsel in Canada, told MTV News on Monday (January 11). "I expect for him to be released tomorrow morning. It's just a question of posting some bail, which I'm going to do. I'm going up there tonight with the money, and they'll be released sometime tomorrow morning."
On Monday, audio was posted online of a man purported to be the victim, Chris Hines, talking about the incident. "We got into a c onfrontation, and of course, they assaulted me, they kept me there for a little while, assaulted me for a few minutes, like 20 minutes, 30 minutes," he told the interviewer. "They had me there for quite some time." When contacted by MTV News, Hines declined to comment or to confirm that the audio was him, although Ducharme confirmed the victim's name.
Banks' dealings with the court are far from over. Ducharme said he expects to enter a not-guilty plea on Banks' behalf in three to four weeks, with a trial in the future.
"The case probably will proceed on the basis that it will be put over for three to four weeks for me to receive what is called the 'prosecutors disclosure.' That's all the information that supposedly supports the charges. Then three to four weeks after I've had the chance to review that disclosure, I would be prepared to set the date for the trial or preliminary hearing, depending on some procedural matters. The case will proceed trough the courts. If it stays in the lower courts, it takes about a year and a few months to resolve. If it goes to the higher courts, it could be as along as a year and a half to bring the matter to court."
At the time of our interview, Ducharme said he still had not met Banks face to face but described the G-Unit rapper as being in good spirits.
"He's just fine," the attorney said. "I have not met him personally. I've talked to him on the phone. He seems like he's a very respectful, sensitive, thoughtful, intelligent man."
Banks — whose real name is Christopher Lloyd — was arrested over the weekend shortly after a show late Friday night. Police told MTV News that Hines, a show promoter/ booking agent, alleged that Banks, Nicklas Sloane, Shawn McGee and Tyrell Cooper held him in his hotel room against his will, assaulted and robbed him. All four men were arrested at the hotel in Kitchener while the promoter was taken to the hospital with unspecified, non-life-threatening injuries.
Read more here
Lil Wayne’s Rebirth has seen constant delays over the past year, but for once, the album is not being pushed back.
Contrary to reports that it had been moved to June, the rapper’s oft-delayed foray into rock is still scheduled for release on February 2, Universal Motown confirms to Rap-Up.com. Exactly one week later on February 9,.
Wayne is likely to be sentenced and report to prison for almost a year on gun charges.
Rebirth surfaced online when it was prematurely shipped to around 500 Amazon.com customers last month. The final tracklisting may change due to the leak.
The Chris Robinson-directed video for “On Fire” premiered yesterday and “Drop the World,” Weezy’s collaboration with Eminem, debuted at No. 18 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week.
Read more here
After initial reports suggested rapper Lil Wayne would be playing the role of Jesus Christ in T-Pain's upcoming Cartoon Network special, television executives have clarified his role.
While Wayne is confirmed to voice a character, he will not be taking on the role of biblical figure Jesus Christ.
The rapper will be lending his voice to a character named Jesus in the upcoming Adult Swim special featuring T-Pain titled Return of Freaknik.
Read more here
Lloyd Banks has been arrested along with four other men in Ontario Canada.
Banks, real name Christopher Charles Lloyd, and four others allegedly sequestered road manager and "Canadian booking artist" Chris Hines of Chris Hines/ Ultimate Ent in a hotel near Kitchener (Ontario, Canada) where Banks was scheduled to perform.
According to accounts of the alleged incident, they assaulted Hines and left him to be rushed to hospital.
Hines suffered a few minor lacerations as well as a bruised eye and a possible head trauma.
Sources say Banks was scheduled to perform a few select cuts at Club N.V. on Friday, January 8th.
However, after arriving late to the venue, Banks repo rtedly performed half a track and walked off the stage to the dismay of the already agitated fans.
When Hines refused to pay Banks for not fulfilling the performance agreement, he was assaulted and left to be rushed to the hospital.
Fan accounts of the lack-luster performance have been removed around the clock from G-Unit's homebase on the web, Thisis50.com
Read more here